Welcome to CamTools
News about the long term future of CamTools
CamTools, the online system that staff and students use to communicate and share materials, is being retired and will no longer be available after 30 September 2017.
As part of the CamTools Decommissioning Project, Helpdesk support for CamTools is no longer available.
If you need to contact us about the switch-off of CamTools, please email: CamToolsSwitchOff@admin.cam.ac.uk
Why is this happening?
In 2013 the University decided that CamTools no longer met our requirements for the support of teaching and learning, research, and administration, and should be phased out. Moodle, a very popular and flexible virtual learning environment, has been selected as its replacement, where suitable. Where CamTools was not used as a VLE, Moodle may not be an appropriate replacement platform - please visit the Preparing for the CamTools Switch Off page for further details.
When is this happening?
CamTools will remain available until 30 September 2017. The retirement of CamTools will take place in four stages:
- 31 December 2015- No further CamTools sites to be created. This cessation includes the creation of new sites and the duplication of existing sites. Existing sites can be re-named and re-configured, but no additional sites will be added to CamTools in 2016.
- 30 September 2016- Active support for CamTools has been withdrawn as Helpdesk and Training services cease. The system itself will be maintained, but no new developments will be implemented.
- October 2016 to September 2017 - Phased shutdown/deletion of CamTools sites and their content.
- 30 September 2017- The CamTools system will be taken offline and will no longer be available. Users will need to download any content that they wish to preserve before this date.
Who will be affected?
Anyone who maintains or uses a CamTools site will be affected and will need to move their content to a different system by 30 September 2017.
Preparing for the CamTools Switch Off
We've put some useful information to help you prepare for the end of CamTools here.
- For more information about the move away from CamTools to Moodle please contact Sharon Mott, Teaching & Learning Systems Service Manager at Sharon.Mott@uis.cam.ac.uk or CamToolsSwitchOff@admin.cam.ac.uk.