Welcome to CamTools Support
CamTools is an online environment available to everyone at the University, designed to facilitate teaching, learning, research and collaboration..
As part of the CamTools Decommissioning Project, Helpdesk support for CamTools is no longer available.
If you need to contact us about the switch-off of CamTools, please email: CamToolsSwitchOff@admin.cam.ac.uk
News about the long term future of CamTools
CamTools , the online system that staff and students use to communicate and share materials, is being retired and will no longer be available after 30 September 2017.
Why is this happening?
In 2013 the University decided that CamTools no longer met our requirements for the support of teaching and learning, research, and administration, and should be phased out. Moodle, a very popular and flexible virtual learning environment, has been selected as its replacement.
When is this happening?
CamTools will remain available until 30 September 2017. The retirement of CamTools will take place in three stages:
- 31 December 2015 - No further CamTools sites to be created. This cessation includes the creation of new sites and the duplication of existing sites. Existing sites can be re-named and re-configured, but no additional sites will be added to CamTools in 2016.
- 30 September 2016 - Active support for CamTools has been withdrawn as Helpdesk and Training services cease. The system itself will be maintained, but no new developments will be implemented.
- 30 September 2017 - The CamTools system will be taken offline and will no longer be available. Users will need to download any content that they wish to preserve before this date.
Who will be affected?
Anyone who maintains or uses a CamTools site will be affected and will need to move their content to a different system by 30 September 2017.
What you need to do
CamTools will remain available until 30 September 2017, so you do not have to do anything right away. However, Moodle is already available to everyone with a Raven account so if you want to move your CamTools site to Moodle, then you can do so now.
Each Department or College that is already using Moodle will have Moodle Coordinators who can create new courses within their own category structures. Please contact the Moodle Coordinator within your institution to request a new Moodle course. If you cannot identify any Moodle Coordinators within your institution, please contact either your Computer Officer or the Moodle Helpdesk via firstname.lastname@example.org .
You can find Moodle at: https://www.vle.cam.ac.uk/login/index.php# .
Moodle is only one of the possible services that UIS offers to replace activities formally supported by the CamTools service. Please contact your local Computer Officer in the first instance regarding options for your institution/ office. In addition for a full directory of additional alternative services that UIS can offer please see the University IT Services Catalogue .
Preparing for the CamTools Switch Off
We've put some useful information to help you prepare for the end of CamTools here .
- CamTools, for help with closing your site: email@example.com
- Moodle helpdesk: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information about the move from CamTools to Moodle please contact Andy Kent, the Teaching and Learning Systems Manager at email@example.com .
- © 2014 CamTools, University of Cambridge, Roger Needham Building, 7 J J Thomson Avenue, Cambridge, CB3 0RB
Information provided by firstname.lastname@example.org, 5 December 2016